Monday, October 25, 2010

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves


While the Vorpal Sword made it into the corpus of material associated with AD&D, the poor Jabberwock did not. Nevertheless, it is still a popular subject for fantasy miniatures. There are several versions of this beastie modeled after the Jabberwock illustrated by John Tenniel for Through the Looking Glass, but the classics are always the best in my mind.

Below are a Ral Partha Jabberwock (01-095) and a Citadel Jabberwock (Young Dragons & Other Monsters C29).


Scale creep has lead the Ral Partha Jabberwock to be dismissed as being too small, but it works perfectly for 1/72 scale. I believe that this version was also released by Citadel with a [possibly] different style of wings. The C29 Citadel Jabberwock is something I only recently became aware of, and is a new addition to my collection. I'm glad I found it because I wanted to paint up a Jabberwock in green, but didn't really want to have two Jabberwocks in the same pose.


Citadel Jabberwock with Ral Partha wings.

This next picture contains a Jubjub Bird from the Ral Partha Bandersnatch and Jubjub Bird set (01-122), a decapitated cat from Mega Miniatures, and Problem Child Alice from Hasslefree (HFA027J). The Jubjub Bird is just meh in my opinion, though I really like the head(s) and the way the feathers are sculpted. I would have loved it if the body was that of a large hunting bird like Gastornis. The cat on the other hand, was originally going to be the recipient of a new head that I sculpted (modeled after the Tenniel Cheshire Cat), but in an ironic reversal, the head flew off and vanished into thin air when I was pinning it to attach to the cat body. Maybe one of these days I'll be able to get it back from the Carpet Monster. Finally there's Alice, who is too big to be a Lewis Carroll Alice, but may work as an American McGee Alice (especially with the butcher knife).




"I growl when I'm pleased, and wag my tail when I'm angry. Therefore I'm mad."


2 comments:

Lobo said...

I always liked this monster, thanks for listing some minis that fits the 1/72 scale!

EY said...

You're welcome Lobo. I always like finding good monsters to use with 1/72 figures - maybe because I used to GM a lot back in the day.

Also thanks for reading and commenting on my posts!